A brainstorming session on “S&T input for Sustainable Development in Uttarakhand” was organised at UCOST campus on 5th November 2016 sponsored by DST, New Delhi. The session had participants from various organization like Govt. Departments, Academic & NGO . The head of Science from Equity Empowerment and Development (SEED) division, DST, GoI, New Delhi, Dr. Chander Mohan, Padmashree(Dr.) Mahesh Sharma, Chairman, Gramodaya Network & Director General, UCOST, Dr. Rajendra Dobhal chaired the session. The participants were from various prestigious institutions like CFTRI- Mysore, MNRE-New Delhi, AIIMS-New Delhi, RCED-Chandigarh, DST-New Delhi, NBRI-Lucknow, FRI, UPES, NGO-SARG, IIT Roorkee etc. The discussion delved on identification of clusters in Uttarakhand region so that S&T intervention can be proposed to rejuvenate the selected cluster.
The experts discussed about the problems and challenges faced by the local communicate of the state and tried to select some of them and provide solutions by S&T interventions suggested. They all emphasized on need based solutions and peoples commitment in furthering a sustainable development. Dr. Mahesh Sharma briefed about the various sectors identified which are organic farming, forest resources, MAPS, Gau Sanvardhan, Beekeeping, Renewal energy, Water management, Good health management at community level, Disaster management and special emphasis should be given to border villages. Even tourism especially both religious and adventure tourism should also be promoted. In agriculture sector the vegetables, flowers, millet and horticulture procedure should be promoted. All these intervention would definitely stop migration from the villages.
List of Experts:
- Chander Mohan, Head, Science for Equity, Empowerment and Development, (SEED), DST, New Delhi.
- Rashmi, Scientist-E, SEED, DST, New Delhi.
- Pawan, Scientist-C, SEED, DST, New Delhi.
- Padam Shri Dr. Mahesh Sharma, Chairman, Gramodaya Network, New Delhi
- Rajendra Dobhal, Director General, UCOST, Dehradun.
- Bhuwanesh Kumar Bhatt, Advisor/Scientist-G, Ministry of New and Renewable Energy, New Delhi.
- V.K. Modi, Chief Scientist, CSIR-Central Food Technological Research Institute, Mysore.
- Sharad Srivastava, Principal Scientist, NBRI, Lucknow.
- Shri Paramjeet Singh, RCED, Chandigarh.
- Vivek Kumar, Associate Professor, IIT, Roorkee.
- Anil Kumar Gupta, Director, Wadia Institute of Himalayan Geology, Dehradun.
- Arun Dhand, Director, UPES, Dehradun.
- Rashmi, Scientist-D, FRI, Dehradun.
- Binita Shah, SARG (NGO), Dehradun.
- Puneet Misra, Centre of Community Medicine, AIIMS, Delhi.
- Prem Badakoti, Gramodaya Network, New Delhi.
- Shri Alok Gupta, Technical Consultant, Surabhi Foundation, Delhi.
- Lakhan Singh, Head, IISWC, Dehradun.
- Bishan, Scientist, SEED, DST, New Delhi.
- Kirti Joshi, Senior Scientific Officer (I/C), UCOST, Dehradun.